Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Whirligig

In McCall's Quilting magazine, July/August 2018, I found this quilt called Whirligig, designed and made by Nancy Allen.  I thought it so cute and wanted to make it  for a baby quilt, but the pattern  was for a  76" x 92" quilt.  

So I drew it in EQ so that I could get the smaller size templates, but I could not get the pinwheel border to come out right....so I adjusted the pattern to use the sizes I wanted.  Here is the design I came up with and will measure 45" Square.

I have completed all the blocks, sashing and the first row.  
While working on a quilt, often I will also be deciding how I want to quilt it.  This will be a baby quilt for one of the mothers-to-be at my church, and generally I machine quilt with a simple pattern hoping it will be much used, washed and loved.  This first row just seemed like a celebration to me, so I decided to quilt vertical rows using different colors of thread to match the colors in the quilt - like streamers. I found the colors in my machine quilting thread stash - Can't wait to try out the quilting.  Might make wavy lines, maybe just keep it simple and straight.  First got to finish the quilt top :)

6 comments:

Frog Quilter said...

Wow that’s going to be beautiful!!!! Love bright colors, they make me feel happy.

FlourishingPalms said...

How great that you could adapt a pattern through EQ and turn it into the size you want! That's the sign of an experienced quiltmaker. (applause here) Love the bright colors you're working with, and your quilting is great. Someone's gonna love this quilt! Good for you to be making it.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

You're like me; planning ahead as you work! However you decide to quilt it, it will be great; you can't miss, this is a simply precious quilt!

Thimbleanna said...

Looks like a really fun quilt Teresa! I like the changes you've made to it too -- lucky new Mom!

التميز المثالي للخدمات المنزلية said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
التميز المثالي للخدمات المنزلية said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.