Monday, August 31, 2020

Momma's Blocks


 Completed this quilt.  The blocks were hand appliqued by my mother sometime before 2009, which is when she passed.  These were leftover blocks from quilts she had made.  I have the Hollyhock quilt, one of my favorites and she gave it to me several years before she died.  She hand appliqued and hand quilted the ones in my quilt, using a quilt as you go method.  The butterfly block was left from a quilt she made for my father based on a pattern given to her by my father's mother. I never knew my grandmother as she died when I was 9 months old.   My daughter now has the butterfly quilt.

This is the label I put on the quilt.  It will be a gift to my brother, Jack.



2 comments:

Julie Fukuda said...

Such a nice quilt with its own story to tell. I especially like the combination of dark and light sashing.

FlourishingPalms said...

No matter what style it is, a quilt that's been made as a keepsake, with loving family memories, is very, very special. Good for you to take the time to make your mother's blocks into such a lovely gift. This quilt will be a legacy for your family, and that's the best kind of quilt.