Sunday, August 25, 2019

Gold Metallic Thread quilting

 Hand quilting using a gold metallic thread.  So far no major problems - just using shorter thread than I normally cut.  I put a post on Celebrate Hand Quilting facebook page for some advice and getting some good suggestions.  Also was told by several that they have had no problems with washing the quilts quilted with this type of thread. 

I am really enjoying this process, although must admit it is taking me a lot longer to do than with regular hand quilting thread....but just looks so pretty when it sparkles.

This will be  a wall hanging rather than a bed quilt.



8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful.
Pat from AZ

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

Gosh this is beautiful. Your stitches are just so lovely.

Miaismine said...

It is so beautiful! I made some felt Christmas ornaments using gold embroidery thread and found that Thread Heaven was my friend. your project is lovely and I'm glad you shared!

Jill said...

This post is the first time I've heard of quilting with gold thread. Results are very nice. When working with metallic threads for needlepoint, I was told not to cut the thread with serrated scissors as they dull.

CathieJ said...

This looks so pretty. I think you are brave to use the gold thread. I am glad that you aren't having any trouble with it. It certainly complements that piece.

Quilter Kathy said...

Very beautiful! I haven't used this thread before, so am interested in hearing how it is to use.

Julie Fukuda said...

I have been using Coats threads over most of my life. My mother used to buy the cheapest she could find only to have it just decay and fall out. I used the gold to outline flowers on a dark print and for couching a gold cord. The cord did not last but the stitching remains.
Recently I bought some coats quilting thread and it was very poor. After a call to the importer, I sent them two spools and they sent me two replacements plus a freebee.

FlourishingPalms said...

Wow! So much lovely detail here. I'm impressed that you're quilting with gold metallic. I remember working with it, many years ago, for counted cross-stitch. I remember it feeling very rough. Though perhaps now the technology for making the strands has improved. Fun for you to be trying something new, and seeing how great it looks.