Friday, April 19, 2019

Pemberley applique do-over

 
This is a wavy border on the Pemberley quilt I am working on.  I began appliqueing this wavy border and dots while I was still recovering from a brain concussion and fractured skull.  It already had one do-over when I had to remove all the dots and re-applique them as I had placed them too far from the border and they were going to be cut off when I trimmed the border to the correct size.  Hmmmm, I blame that on I was not thinking straight .
 
Here is a closeup of some of the applique - stitches are too big, thread color makes no sense and obviously show a lot more than they should.  I do think that was because I was not seeing as clearly as I am now, or maybe not thinking right.  A couple of  weeks ago, I began to see the poor applique, and thought I would just leave it as is - not all that bad, besides who will notice when the quilt is finished???  But then every time I look at the quilt, I think..I really need to fix that applique.

 
So now I have finished all the "chubby dresdens" that make up the next border and am ready to sew that border on.  But I just can't do it until I fix the applique.  So I started tonight, ripping out the previous applique stitches and doing-over in less conspicuous stitches and color.  Why I used a light ecru thread is beyond me now, I know better than to do that.  So I am re-doing the applique with a light grey thread and making my stitches just in the fold .  I am not an expert in needle turn applique, but those doggone stitches were really bothering me.

 
Whew....that feels so much better.

5 comments:

Ruth said...

Your Pemberley quilt will be perfectly beautiful when you get finished with it. Since you weren't happy with some of your previous stitches, it's good that you will be fixing it for your own piece of mind. Certainly most people wouldn't notice. I've ever seen a border like that before and it is lovely.

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

Your new stitches are just perfect.

Julie Fukuda said...

When the fabric is a print with different colors touching the edge, it is hard to find a thread that won't show somewhere. Don't be so tough on yourself.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

This is going to be lovely and the Applique looks wonderful. ! I hope that you feel much better too! Sending healing hugs as you improve!

Raewyn said...

I'm sure you won't regret spending the time to fix up your applique- if you've been looking and looking and just cant live with it, then re doing it will make you a lot happier. Pemberley is going to be gorgeous when done :-)