Sunday, April 28, 2019

Feathered Star - Marking and Basting the quilt

 Today was my day to get my Feathered Star quilt basted together and onto my hoop for hand quilting.  I purchased the backing and batting yesterday, washed the backing over night and ironed it today.  I wanted to draw some of the quilting lines before basting the sandwich together.  This is a pattern I recently used in a Sashiko class, and really like it.  Not sure about the star center, but I think I will carry the lines into the center.


These are a couple of tools I use in marking that I  thought I would share.  The Leonis blue water soluble marker I order off Amazon.  They are the best I have found so far and come in a pack of 10 for $15. The little sponge applicator is used to erase mistakes - simply dunk in water and the wipe across the line done in error.  My friend Martha told me about this trick and even gave me some of the sponges and the cute little Ball jar.

Here is the quilt being basted.  I use boards to roll the backing and top on, and then thread baste for hand quilting.  My good friend, Brenda, dropped by to learn this basting technique and then stayed for several hours to help me baste it together.   So fun to have a friend to help!   Tomorrow I hope to finish up the basting and get the quilt in my hoop :)



5 comments:

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

Ooooh thank you for the tip about the markers. I'll have a look at ordering some too. I always worry about marking my quilts and whether the marks will come out. Enjoy the rest of your weekend x

Created by Kathi said...

I love your quilt top and the pic of you and your friend :) Excellent ideas for marking and erasing marks without spritzing the whole area! Can't wait to share this idea with my quilting friends for sure!!! Kathi

Helen said...

My goodness, what a gorgeous quilt!!! You have to be so happy with it.

It's always wonderful to have a friend to help do things, to chat with, to laugh with, to be your sidekick!

Thanks for the tips and enjoy quilting this beautiful piece of art.

Hugs, Helen

O'Quilts said...

Your quilts are soooo lovely

Karen said...

I had not heard of that particular marking pen. I will add it to my Amazon wish list. I do use a wash out blue marker in marking my applique backgrounds.