Saturday, April 13, 2019

Feathered Star quilt top finished

This is the design I settled on for the pillow cover on my Feathered Star quilt.  The quilt has 12 embroidered blocks surrounding the feathered star and I carried the embroidery to the pillow cover.

The dark blue blocks were made using a Seminole piecing technique. The "nine patch" is supposed to finish at 3" square and to my surprise, it finishes at 3 1/4 inches.  I was so careful to consistently sew using my quarter inch presser foot, so they consistently measure 3 1/4" all the way across the border (both top and bottom).

 This really messed up my calculations on how many I needed to make the borders.  But all's well that ended well - I think they came out ok.  I think I need to reposition my needle a little to the left to get the seam to come out exactly 1/4"

Now to get it basted and ready for hand quilting.  I plan to use #8 perle cotton thread which is what I used for the embroidery - but it will be white.  Quilting will be big stitch.


4 comments:

Rose Marie said...

Wow ..... this is going to be absolutely gorgeous once you are finished with it!

lvkwilt said...

Absolutely stunning! Love everything about it!

Cathy said...

Your quilt is so beautiful. Hugs

Karen said...

What a good idea to make a pillow cover to go with your quilt. Makes beautiful bed coverings.