Friday, April 20, 2018

Twiling and Star of Bethlehem

My guild is so fortunate to have a member, Sherri Turevon, who is an excellent designer and is chairing our monthly block challenge.  She has come up with a Block of the Month for embroidery each month and then framed in a pieced border.  The blocks are beautiful, and we stitch in the stitch of our choice.  I am doing some twilling and back stitch on mine.  I have seen several other ladies' work and they are all equally beautiful, all done differently, so far.  I was thrilled to discover I could do this work even with my wounded hand.

Here are my first four blocks:


January - Snow Crystal

February Hearts

March - Shamrock



April - Butterflies

With the help of my husband, I was able to get my Star of Bethlehem quilt wrapped on the boards for basting, and then two friends, Darlene and Brenda, came over and helped me get it thread basted.  Its now on the hoop, ready for quilting which hopefully I can start soon. 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I was so excited to discover I could do some paper piecing, that I kind of overdid it one afternoon, sitting on my porch and stitched for over two hours. Needless to say my hand was swollen and hurt a lot when I stopped.  Went to therapy yesterday, and was told to take it easy - that I had actually set my progress backwards :(   Soooooo...have to limit hand sewing to 30 minute intervals, followed by 30 minute handrests for the next few days.  But it sure was fun!

2 comments:

Candace said...

Thank you for your visit to my blog and for your kind comment. It allowed me to make a special trip to your blog and to look around. Your blocks are beautiful, and you do such awesome work. I hope your therapy goes well and you are able to do what you love for longer periods soon.

Julie Fukuda said...

Well, looks like some needlework therapy is working too. (and isn't it nice to get a bit of help when it comes to basting)!