Friday, March 16, 2018

Determination Quilt

DETERMINATION is the name I am giving this quilt.  I am used to getting up each morning and enjoying some coffee and doing some quilting.  This broken wrist has put a kink in my morning fun time.  After doing a lot of reading, studying up on EQ8, being on the computer with facebook, blogs and games, I was determined to come up with ways I could make a quilt.

I have this tub of 2 1/2" squares I use when teaching Cathedral Window quilts or Hexagon EPP quilting, so I decided to just start making 4 patches I could use when I make this quilt I designed in EQ8.  This takes 152 4-patches.  That should keep me busy for awhile.

A couple days later, they were done, and needed to be squared up......but try as hard as I could, I could not use a rotary cutter with one hand :( 

So my wonderful, thoughtful, smart and PRECISE husband to the rescue.  Using a 3 1/2" square ruler, he squared up all the 4-Patches,  He also cut 310 3 1/2" squares and then cut them diagonally to make the corner squares,  and once I get the corners sewn on, he is squaring those up to a 4 3/4" unfinished size block, using the Creative Grids Square in a Square ruler.  That is what he is doing in this picture.  He has already cut the 3 1/2" x 86" strips I needed to go between the vertical rows of 4-Patches.

I think he got tired of all my muttering and "southern sighs" because I could not master one handed rotary cutting.  Or maybe he just did not want to see me cut off a finger.  Either way, I think he is enjoying helping :)

I am a blest lady!





4 Patches

Corner Squares

Before and After Square in a Square

Alternate Strips
Adeline and Lorelai Coming for a visit....Woohoooooooooo!



3 comments:

em's scrapbag said...

You have a really good hubby!

O'Quilts said...

Wow...great husband....
hoping for a great wrist recovery

Rose Marie said...

Hubby to the rescue! Your joint quilt will be special and it will bring back memories of how a couple can make a quilt together. The stories it will tell.