Friday, June 16, 2017

Airplane Quilt - "Which Way is North?"

I need to make a baby quilt for a boy born this year in our church.  I have been making the new babies for the last couple years a baby quilt, but in the two prior years, there were only 3 new babies.  This year we have 6 ! This will be my sixth quilt to make - 4 girls and 2 boys!

I wanted to do something fun and saw an airplane quilt on someone's facebook page and thought that would be fun.  I used EQ7 to design my own quilt, which is quite different from the one I saw on facebook, where all the planes were flying in rows and were the same color.  Mine is a little more haphazard.

A couple friends and I have been trying to name this quilt today, and so far my favorite is "Which Way is North". I am open to any other suggestions if you would like to make one.

These are the plane fabrics I have chosen.  A variety of primary colors.  Each one will be used once as the body of the plane and once as the propeller, wing and tail.

These fabrics will also be used for the connection blocks.
And here is my first plane. 

This is so much fun and a nice break from the Bali Wedding Star which is rather intense to make.

I am using the freezer paper - foundation-less - paper piecing technique to make the airplane blocks.

I hope the new baby boy will enjoy this quilt as much as I am enjoying making it.

Teresa

3 comments:

Frog Quilter said...

Love your creativity. Love bright colors. This quilt will surely be loved.

Rebecca said...

Love the colors and love the name but how about
"which way did they go" or "follow what leader"
Yah which way is north is probably better

Julierose said...

Oh this will be so adorable--I am sure they will love it..I might call it "North By Northwest"
hugs, Julierose