Thursday, April 28, 2011

Sewing Zen Workshop

Had wonderful time at the Sewing Zen workshop, put on by Jane Garrison of YLI and her sister-in-law, who is a Bernina educator.  If they are ever in your area, definitely take this workshop - and consider having your guild invite them!

We spent most of the morning learning about our machine and its inner workings and how to choose the correct needle for the thread of choice.  I have wondered for years what that felt disc that came with my machine was for, and now I know!  Also, do you know when to use the vertical versus the horizontal thread spindle?  Its the little things which make a big difference in your quilting.


We spent the remainder of the workshop (6 hour workshop) playing with the threads, choosing the correct needle for the thread, using different weight threads in the bobbin versus on top and just having fun.  I never knew you could use that delicate silk thread in machine quilting or that the metallic thread could be used without it breaking constantly!  Here are the practice "quilts" I worked on. My machine quilting has a way to go, but I did master getting the tension balanced with different weight threads and that was a major accomplishment for me.


The renovation continues.  We have the ramp on the front done now, and onward they move to the old porch, adding new railing, poles and covering everything in pretty white vinyl.  There will also be dark green shutters added as well as a paint on the door.

See that antenna on the roof?  We have had cable for at least 20 years now!  That antenna will be coming down as the new roof goes up, which should start today if the weather plays nice.  We are under tornado watch as I type this, so not looking too good.  Maybe this afternoon.

Hope you all have a good day and thanks for stopping by,
Teresa
27320

4 comments:

Raewyn said...

The workshop you did sounds really good - 6 hours of help and learning would have been fabulous! I'm trying to practise a little fmq each day to get my skill level up and I'm sure it's helping. Hope the tornadoes stay away - and your house renovations are all nice and secure.

Julie Fukuda said...

I'm glad those metalic threads work with a machine because they sure are a bugger to use by hand. Your renovations are looking good. I sure hope the tornedos find something else to do with all that energy.

FlourishingPalms said...

How nice that you could learn so much about your Bernina in that workshop. I'm sure it was really worthwhile. Ironic that you mentioned silk thread as I just tried it for the first time in my free motion quilting... and just blogged about it. I like it a lot, but it's pricey, so I'll be using it judiciously.

Enjoy getting your house updated. It will be wonderful for you when it's finished.

Purple Pam said...

WOW! Sounds like you were in a great workshop. I love playing with thread. That front porch looks like it is really coming along nicely. Tornado...go away!