Saturday, February 16, 2008

Dear Jane ......revisited

I pulled out an old friend last night from the top of my projects shelf. I began working on my Dear Jane quilt on September 10, 2001 - one day before that horrible day that changed our world, 9/11. I periodically pull it out and make a few more blocks , recording the day I made the block and what was going on in my life on that day. This record is recorded on fabric and will be on the back of the quilt as a kind of journal. My DJ Journal has some serious gaps in time, but I think it will be interesting to read through all that has occured since I started this quilt, including the marriage of two of my children, the birth of four grandchildren. Each block is a different fabric and maybe someday a quilt historian will have a great time looking at the various fabrics. Last night I finished block M9, Fan Dance. For those of you that are DJ enthusiasts, you know that M is the last row - and Yea, I have been working straight through the blocks so only 4 more blocks to make and then I move on to the triangles!

My daughter, Jennie, and I also made our block exchange blocks for our local guild block swap. These blocks are done in batiks and should make an interesting quilt - something quite different that what I usually make. They draw one name from the names of everyone that made a block and that person gets all the blocks.
Hope you all have a good Saturday. I have a "free" weekend, meaning I have no place that I have to be or do today. Wooohooooooooooo!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad you could have a free week-end. You surely deserve it after all you have dealt with lately.
I love watching the DJ come to life. It is going to be an interesting quilt to read.
Didn't you love making the swap blocks? Yours are very pretty. I got mine made. They are going to make a vibrant quilt for someone.

Thimbleanna said...

I love your DJ story. Wow. I've always loved the DJ quilts -- maybe some day for me. I can't wait to see yours.

PiecefulChaos said...

I love, love, LOVE, your idea with the DJ "journal" for the backing! I have only a few blocks done on mine - I might have to do something similar.

Anonymous said...

I have never been familiar with the Dear Jane legacy until I started blogging. I am really interested in pursing this quilt too. I like your idea of journaling your life as you make it. Definitely a project for my list!

Leanne said...

What a great idea I have a friend who has started a DJ quilt and is struggling with it so I might pass on your idea.

Greenmare said...

I love your swap blocks. soooooooo cheerful!

Marilyn Robertson said...

I really like the idea of the DJ journal too! How about posting some more photos of the DJ have you have already made? I haven't done a DJ (yet), but the thought has occured to me from time to time.

Michelle said...

Teehee, what? You want me to show exactly which pattern Im making? Well, you will just have to wait and see!! I have so many ideas already about dress colors/fabrics and hair styles and bows!!

Debbie said...

I admire you for doing a Dear Jane Quilt!! It's on my "to do" list.