Monday, November 9, 2020

Quilt As You Go Hexagons

 I recently came across a YouTube video by Missouri Star Company on using these templates to make "Quilt As YouGo 2 1/2" Hexagons."  I was so interested that I ordered the templates and tried it out - thinking I would do it all by hand.


I really do prefer handwork, but sometimes its just fun to have machine work as well.  I drew out a pattern on EQ and started to work on a table runner, as I wanted to do a small project at first.

I ended up piecing the blocks by machine, which was so much fun.  I used a 1 1/4" hexagon printed on freezer paper and then ironed to the block to do a quilting pattern on each block.  Here's close-ups of the front and back.  Each hexagon is handsewn to the next.

 I had a few left that I will use for coasters, and need to find more polka dots  to make more coasters.  This will brighten up my dining table in the Spring.  My next project will be an I-Spy (or is it EYE-Spy) quilt.

I also recently finished another Wish You Well block - this one for November:



3 comments:

Julie Fukuda said...

Wow, that's amazing. I could never make a machine behave that well. I have a large collection of polkadot fabrics and have been thinking of what I pattern I might use to put them together.

Rebecca said...

I have that templet around here somewhere... hummm

FlourishingPalms said...

I have made machine-sewn hexagons and agree that it's a fun way to go. And this method of making them, ready to hand-piece together, is really different. Another interesting approach to making hexies.