Friday, May 29, 2020

HQDay 78 - Secret Garden Thread Keeper


 My newest project, designed by Katrina Hadjimichael, is a thread keeper.  The front and back are hand embroidered

 I did substitute magnetic snaps instead of the string ties in the pattern.  Unfortunately for me, my spools of Coats and Clark threads are too stubby and round to fit in the pockets.  I can get them in the pockets, but they are tight and difficult to get out.  So fortunately, for Darlene, this will be a gift to her for her Gutermann threads which fit it perfectly.  I did talk, via on-line messaging, with Katrina about how it did not fit my spools, but then I should have realized this would be the case when I was making it.  She suggested making only 4 pocket on each side and that would give room for the stubby spool. 

I am thinking I might just make a second one, with four rows of pockets, more to the size of my spools.  I could have two rows on each side just have to make the holder a little deeper.  I might even do EPP blocks instead of the embroidery. 

Katrina also suggested pulling a thread from each spool through the mesh and that way would not have to take the spool out.  An interesting modification.

Whatever I do, it was a fun project to do and I think I will make another for my applique threads.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Pull the thread thru the mesh!!!
And that is why I enjoy reading the blogs....lol

Karen said...

How pretty! I have not seen mesh for sale in the shops but surely carried somewhere. What a good idea to pull the thread through it.