Sunday, September 8, 2019

Car work table

 My husband and I are on a long road trip to Missouri that takes approx. 15 hours to get to our destination.  We both enjoy road trips and like stopping at antique shops and interesting spots along the way.  I always have some sewing to do - usually EPP for the last few years. 

I used a lap table  to make a "work station" to use on this trip and am really enjoying it.  The plastic containers are held in place by double sided carpet tape.  The little glass jar has a large washer glued in the bottom and there is a magnet glued to the table cup holder.  This way it can be easily taken out do dump the trash.  I covered a piece of cardboard with flannel and used the tape to affix it to the table top.  There is even a light that came with the table.

I am enjoying this worktable. No more dropped pins and scissors in the truck.  I can lay out my pieces and everything is so handy.  When we make stops, I just snap the lids back on the plastic containers, put the lid on the jar and set it in my seat, ready to go when we take off again.

I finished the first block.  This picture is taken in the truck, with the block laid out on the back of the table.  There is a bean bag type back that lets you adjust the angle the table sets on your lap.  So far, I have the EPP done on two blocks and will applique them to the background fabric when I get home.  Today we will be visiting some cousins and I will be completing the third block in the hotel.  Tomorrow we are off to Hamilton, Mo....Missouri Star Company.

8 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your table looks like a great idea - looks like you thought of everything you might need! Enjoy your trip to MSQCo!

Karrin Hurd said...

Great idea for the table, have a great trip!

Gretchen Weaver said...

I envy you I've always wanted to go to Missouri Star Co., maybe someday. Love your EPP work, look forward to see how the blocks fit together. You've got a really nice set up for traveling. Happy Stitching!

Sarah said...

How clever are you! Your work station is great. Enjoy your trip!

FlourishingPalms said...

This is such a clever idea, Teresa! You'll have to do a tutorial on it, so we can see the step-by-step process. I have no idea where to find a lap tray like that. It's great that you're getting stitching time (I love to do the same when I'm traveling in the car), and it's fun to hear your destination. I've been there once. Knowing you, I predict you'll love it... a lot! No doubt there will be pictures as proof, on a future blog post too. Have a great time!

Kim said...

I am a wee bit jealous......road tripping, visiting antique shops AND enjoying EPP stitching.....sound like bliss to me! That lap tray looks fabulous.

Sarah Aldrich said...

I would love to know where you got that table one what brand it is. Just today I lost something in the car while sticking and couldn’t find it 7ntil we stopped an hour later.

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Teresa, thanks for sharing your lap tray idea. That sounds perfect for road trips!