Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Getting quilts done

The last couple months I seem to be energized to finish up some projects.  I did complete the Hunter Star for my Son-in-law, a string quilt for my son and best of all my Dear Jane Quilt  - picture to follow in a later post.

This morning I finished piecing the backing for my grandson's Big Boy quilt - his name is Titus.  His mom suggested a quilt with cars and trucks as that is his favorite thing.  Well, I really did not want to make a little kid's quilt, although he is just 4 years old, but also wanted him to love his quilt.  So I found this fabric and panel and used it to make the quilt back.  Tomater is his favorite character in the CARS Movies.
 
The front of the quilt is made using the LOTUS ruler.  I tried to use all the colors in the back of the quilt.  Wonder which one he will lay on his bed as the top side?  HAHA - I think that is a no brainer. 

I also got the blue Feathered Star quilted and sewed on the binding.  Have to share this very rare occurrence.  I made the binding many months ago, when I first started working on this quilt.  When I sewed it on the quilt, I was getting a little nervous as I approached the last corner, knowing I had to go midway down the last side.  Binding was getting short, I thought dagnabit, I am going to have to add a little more.  But it was exactly the right length - I was stunned, when I went to join the beginning to the end, I had an exact 2 1/4" overlap, just the amount I needed.  


Here's the quilt laying on my dining room table.  I spritzed it with water to make sure I had all the blue quilting markings out and left it there to dry ( just slightly damp).  Now to get it hemmed, but until then, I love going into my dining room and seeing it there.  It is such a soft cozy quilt as I hand quilted it in big stitch.  I will start hemming it this afternoon :)

2 comments:

Love Of Quilts said...

Your quilts are so pretty. Your grandson will surely love his quilt.

Coleen Robinson said...

This quilt is truly stunning. Geat Job!