Sunday, October 14, 2018

Momma's Quilt

My blog is a type of quilt journal for me where I can look back and see quilts that I have made over the years.  I was never very good at documenting this before I started blogging and oh how I wish I had.  A lesson for those just getting started in quilting.  I print my blog every year and have gone back many times to check when I completed a quilt, or how long it took me to make a certain quilt.

  Momma was an excellent quilter and hand pieced many of her quilts and hand quilted nearly all of her quilts.  She kept very few of them, giving most to her children and grandchildren.  When she passed we shared among the family the quilts that she still had left at home.  They all held many special memories to me.


This is a quilt I made for my Momma in 2001.  I had not done much hand quilting, but knew if I was going to give Momma a quilt, it had better be hand quilted.    She was so surprised and touched when I gave it to her - said no one had ever made a quilt for her before.  I still get tears when I think of that time and how much that comment meant to me. 

When Momma passed years later, I reclaimed the quilt.
Now it resides on the back of "my chair" in the living room. I cuddle under it when I feel chilled or just need a little comfort.  The quilt reminds me so much of my Momma as most of her quilts were scrappy and she loved the traditional patterns.  Besides, I know it was something I made for my Momma that she truly cherished, and that makes me cherish it all the more.

Miss you Momma, every day.

1 comment:

Julie Fukuda said...

Long ago I started with a paper diary, and most of my quilt pictures are recorded with a picture in there. Now there are only a few pages left in that book. My kids always asked me to bring my quilt diary with me when I visited so they could see what I was doing, and it was on one of those trips that my youngest son scanned it and turned it into a blog. I am still keeping a record there, I also found some quilts were given away before a picture was taken so are not included. I often go back and look up details as to date and size. Nice to have a record to go with the memories.