There is only one problem so far, I began with Red which was the first color on the list, but the color for January is actually purple. Hmmmm....off to a bad start already. So I will just continue with my red since I have already cut out the fabric, but when the month for Red comes along, I will do purple.
We were to pick out a project, and my project is a Jack's Chain quilt. I first saw this quilt in an old quilt magazine and just fell in love with it, but there was no pattern. An internet search yielded this pattern published by Lessa Siegele in Australia and available for purchase as a download. The original quilt that I saw did not have the flowers in the center's for the rings, and I may leave those out as well. To make this quilt I will need 332 three inch 9-patches!!!
One of my favorite things to do when starting a new project is to get organized. I wanted all 332 9-patches in my quilts to be made of a different fabric (each 9-patch would be the same fabric, but would be different from all the other 9-patches.) Having made scrap quilts in the past, I knew I needed to keep a record of the fabrics I had used, so I came up with this chart. I cut out 20 different red squares for making 9-patches. (Reminder - these should have been purple) I may come back and add more red squares, so I have left space for up to 40 different reds.
Next step was to get my stuff organized. I have all kinds of these neat storage bins and it is just fun for me to get my stuff organized all in one place. I cut out 458 white squares, which is enough for a little over 100 blocks. (Oh yes, I had to purchase 8 1/2 yds of white fabric - Yikes! All the remainder of the fabrics will come from my stash).
One down, 331to go!