Friday, July 3, 2015

It all started with a little wooden box!

I just love this little wooden box. Found it at Hobby Lobby and with a 40% off coupon, could not resist. Only problem, I wanted to use it in my kitchen and my kitchen has dark green/blue paint, dark gold countertops and red and gold cushion covers on the chairs. It just did not fit in, plus it did not fit in my small bookcase in my kitchen.

So my sweet husband offered to make me another bookcase, and paint it white to match the cabinets.

So.....I began dreaming of a kitchen makeover. Not new appliances mind you, just new paint and countertops to match my little wooden box.

My husband, son-in-law and daughter got the kitchen painted and most of the woodwork, while I went on a quilt retreat for a couple of days :). I finished up some of the woodwork when I got home.

The new bookcase was hung an I am so pleased. The little wooden box is just right for some of my miscellaneous cook books. The basket in the bottom right corner was made by my mom and holds some of her cookbooks, which I treasure.

 

This was one of her favorites and well worn from use. She has little hand written notes on all her books about how she might have changed the recipe.

 

 

 

 

 

Next problem was the kitchen chairs which no longer matched anything in the kitchen.

I found this fabric at Hancock Fabrics and recovered all four kitchen chairs, with the help of my wonderful husband. This makeover turned out to be a lot of work for him.

 

 

This is the back of my kitchen and used to be a laundry room with washer dryer and freezer. Not sure how I ever managed without this counter and cabinet space.

 

And now for where all this is leading....I finished this UFO this morning to use as a table topper in my kitchen. I made the top two years ago at a quilt retreat and never finished it as it simply did not match anything in my house.

The colors are just right, I must have had very good foresight In picking out the fabric two years ago :)

The little plaque below has hung in my kitchen for many years. And I am so very thankful for my husband, children, home and now a new bright kitchen.

I am also thankful for all my blogging friends. Thank you for stopping by, and what "little wooden box" have you found lately that inspired you?

Teresa

4 comments:

julieQ said...

And we are all thankful for you too!! I just love your new kitchen chairs...gorgeous fabric!

Julie Fukuda said...

Who would have guessed a box could make such lovely changes. Congratulations on following it through.

Purple Pam said...

Wow! Look at what a little box can do! Congrats on the new kitchen.

Thimbleanna said...

The new kitchen looks beautiful Teresa -- so bright and pretty!