Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Twisted Pinwheels

Here I go again, getting all excited about a new pattern when I promised myself that I would not start anything else new until I had finished my three main projects.  But I do like this pattern, and why make a table runner, when what I really want is a blue and white quilt.

This is my drawing in EQ7.  I have already figured up my yardage and now just need to get the fabrics.  I won't be able to start this until May, so I have time to work on the other projects some.   

Wonder if I could finish hand quilting my Circus Stars by May???

we will be using the twisted pinwheel tool which came with very limited instructions.  Kind of like place template on fabric, cut out fabric. I cut a few out last night just to see how many wedges I could get out of one strip of fabric.  Learned a valuable lesson - you have to have all layers of fabric right side up.  So now I have pinwheels spinning in two different directions - kind of sounds like my life at times.

The rest of this post is mostly for Stitchin Friends Quilt club, but you are welcome to follow along.
Ladies, I will miss you Saturday, but I KNOW you are all working on your assignment and getting your arcs finished and your background cut out.  For those of you that have already completed your assignment (Mary) here is the next step.


I already have this step done on all of mine, so pretend you don't see that seam line.  Pin the melon shape to one of the arc that does not have corner blocks sewn on each end.  You should have 20 melons and 20 arcs with no corner blocks.
Match the center line you drew on the melon with the center seam of the arc....pin.   Match the straight ends of the melon with the end of the arcs - pin.  Now sew the melon to the arc, making sure you keep the outer edges even.  You should end up with something that looks like this.   Press the seam toward the melon.
Next you will sew the other side of the melon to the arcs that have corner blocks on the end. 
Once again,  pin the center seam  to the center seam on the arc, and then pin the ends together.


Note that then edge of the last arc piece is pinned to the edge corner block.  I place pins at each seam, to keep the seam lying flat when I sew the pieces together.   Once you sew the seam, your finished piece should look like this.    So there you have it, once you have that, you are all set for our April meeting.  When done, you should have 20 arcs that look like this one.
 Good luck and don't fret if you don't understand it.  We'll go over it at the April meeting.

Teresa
25928

6 comments:

*karendianne. said...

Its so much fun to be inspired with a new pattern. Especially when you want to make a quilt… a blue and white one at that. Prrrettty!

This was funny: "So now I have pinwheels spinning in two different directions - kind of sounds like my life at times." (I hear ya!)

Your directions for the DWR are awesome!!! :)

Julie Fukuda said...

I'll bet those pinwheels would look great in a scrappy solution.

FlourishingPalms said...

I like your two-color twist pattern. Isn't it one that's done really easily with an acrylic template, called the Twister?
http://www.country-schoolhouse.com/twister_tool.htm

In the book "Square Dance," you're instructed to make a square patchwork quilt top. Then you use the template to cut new squares at the intersections. I found a brief instruction here: http://www.silverlanequilting.com/pdf/antler_SquareDancePP.pdf

This would certainly make your cutting and sewing easier.

Purple Pam said...

I like pinwheels, and double pinwheels! What fun! Your tutorial for the double wedding ring is great.

julieQ said...

I love this pattern!! I do not know how it is made...hmmmm...may have to look around for the pattern!

Anonymous said...

Hello Teresa, I am not part of the Stitchin Friends Club, but would love to follow your progress.....I hope to make a Double Wedding Ring Quilt later on in the year....hugs lyn