Sunday, September 12, 2021

Mosaic Tile Quilting

 I recently became interested in Mosaic Tile Quilting and found a book on Thriftbooks called Tile Quilt Revival. I believe I saw a reference to this book on Barbara Brackman's blog.  I also did some researching for YouTubes showing how to do the technique, and nearly all  involved fusible applique, which I am not interested in.  I did find one site that was all sewn by machine and I did not like that either. 

The Tile Quilt Revival book shows how to do the technique with needle turn applique and gave excellent pictures and instructions on the technique.  I am somewhat comfortable with needle turn applique so was anxious to try.


One particular difference in this technique is to only fold under 1/8" seam allowance, I usually try to allow at least 1/4".  I wasn't sure I would like this, but I am game to try anything.  After a few efforts, I found that I really like the 1/8" seam allowance.  This is the piece I chose to work on, and I had already appliqued the blue bird, but you can see how close the pieces are.  The way you cut out the pattern, they should fit exactly together like a puzzle, you baste in place and then applique with the 1/8" fold under.  This will reveal a 1/4inch "grout" once all the pieces are appliqued.  Obviously I did not cut my pieces exactly right, but not too bad for a first attempt.
I would have preferred a white fabric for the "grout" but because I used light fabrics for the block backgrounds, they did not show up well on the white base fabric.  So here is my finished block:
Obviously I have a ways to go, but I enjoyed the process and will do better on the next block.  I am making the table runner below:








3 comments:

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

I've never heard of mosaic tile quilting, but you've inspired me to go and have a look at what it is. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful. I think the dark background gives your piece the look of stained glass.

FlourishingPalms said...

Oh my. What a quilter can find in an old book... This is really interesting, and you made your first block quite beautifully! It seems like the perfect technique that suits your quiltmaking style. It's also pretty cool that Anorina picked up on it, and is also trying her hand at making a block! The blogging world, why growing smaller, is still a vibrant and inspiring place to be!