Saturday, July 4, 2020

Four Baby Quilts

I enjoy making quilts for the pregnant mom's in our church and this years seems we are having a bumper crop, with 5 babies on the way and one born in March.  I have to wonder how next year will be after all this "stay-at-home" time.  So far, there will be three new baby boys, one girl and the gender of the other two is not yet known.  I completed one quilt back in February to give to the mom who delivered in March, but did not get to give it yet due to this corona virus.

Schnibbles design that I enlarged to make ta baby quilt size.

Backing and bow for the Schnibbles quilt.  I found the cute cowboy flannel and could not resist using it for the backing on this quilt.  This is the way I wrap the quilts for the baby showers, with the label on the outside.   I use the same label on all these baby quilts.

A simple four patch that I used to highlight the cute animal print.  I fussy cut the various animals for the blocks that go between the four patches.

Backing for the four patch.  I did have to add a little strip to the sides to get the backing wide enough for the quilt, but I think it is so cute.

I saw a quilt like this on pinterest and used EQ to get my sailboat design.  I added the pennant flag and that is dimensional, so the baby will have something to play with.

A Lewis & Irene fabric for the backing

The pattern is Jelly Nation by Katrina Hadjimichael.  All the fabrics are Lewis & Irene jelly roll cuts which made putting the quilt together quick and easy.  I am thinking this will be for a baby girl, although I think it would also be ok for a boy.

Backing for the Jelly Nation quilt - also a Lewis & Irene fabric.

I have two more baby quilts to make, and have started a girl quilt using the Glorious Nine Patch pattern I found in a 2002 McCall's Quilting magazine.  My first attempt at making one of these quilts, and having a few problems.  Wish I could find the acrylic templates for cutting out the pieces.  I have had to draw them from the pattern sheet and then cut them from plastic, and  I am sure they are not quite right.  I did find one of the patterns with the templates on line and have ordered it - should be here Wednesday.  I am determined to master this pattern, and heaven knows these days I have the time to work at it.

Hope you are staying safe, healthy and happy.

4 comments:

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

Wow, you've been a busy lady. Each quilt is beautiful and unique and I'm sure the recipients will love them.

FlourishingPalms said...

What a generous friend you are! I think it's wonderful that you're making these for babies in your church. Are you still able to BE in a church? I'm worshipping online. Anyway, I have to think that being a member of a church in our community wouldn't warrant making any baby quilts! :-) Such a different congregational make-up when living in a retirement city of 112,000 seniors! Bless you for making.

Julie Fukuda said...

Yes, the church community is where most of my baby quilts go ... and a few to teachers where I work. I like the variety you come up with. I tend to do a lot of I-Spy quilts.

Love Of Quilts said...

What sweet quilts you have made. So sweet of you to make for all the baby's.