Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Fiesta Enchiladas

Our guild is having a recipe challenge to exhibit at an upcoming quilt show in September.  The Challenge is to make a block to represent a favorite recipe, submit block and recipe and a recipe book will be prepared with the recipes and picture of the blocks.  The blocks will be on display at the quilt show and the books will be for sale. 

At first, I was not sure I would participate, as I am not very artistic and I was not sure I could design a block to match a recipe.  But, since I wanted to be part of the fun, I decided to submit my recipe for Enchiladas and somehow incorporate a sombrero in my block.  With the help of my talented artistic granddaughter, I came up with a wanted poster.

 I used the Helen Stubbings Faux Applique technique to color and embroider the block. 
For the binding, I found some fabric called Fiesta Stripe, and I hand quilted it rather simply.  All in all, I am happy with the block and happy I can participate in the recipe challenge.




I have also made progress on my Lone Star quilt.  I am making this in the same fabric line as my Rose Star blocks and hope to have the Rose Stars encircle the lone star.  This is just up on my design wall, and the diamond shapes are not yet sewn to each other.  Still debating on the background fabric, so need to take a diamond to a quilt shop and do some auditions. 

3 comments:

Karen said...

I think you did quite well on the recipe challenge which is a unique theme to start with.

Trish said...

Wow, I was thinking that would be impossible to do. Then I read on , the photo was yours, great job.

Julie Fukuda said...

Now, that is an interesting challenge! You are very creative to take it on.