Thursday, November 14, 2019

Temperature Quilts

This is something new to me and I thought it would be fun.  Linda D brought it up at our last club meeting, and I think we will do a challenge to the club to make a Temperature Quilt for 2020.  I get excited about any new quilt project and have been planning this one since the club meeting.  I am going to do mine for a year of seasons, and since the Winter season begins Dec.21, 2019 mine will cross years, but that is ok.  I am going to do rail fence blocks with four rails.  Still trying to decide how I want to do those rails - could have a rail for the low temp, one for the high temp. and then a neutral color for the other two rails.  But then, instead of a neutral, I could pick a color representing that season - like grey sparkly for Winter, green for Spring, yellow for Summer and orange for Fall - at least that way the seasons would be separated. 

I drew a diagram in EQ for how my quilt will look:  In this one, I have blue solid at the beginning of Winter, green at the beginning of Spring, yellow at the beginning of Summer and then Orange at the beginning of Fall.  The white in the bottom right corner will be a signature block. I had to add these color blocks to even out the quilt blocks.

Here is what it will look like if I go with a color for each season:  I think this may be what I have to do, as I love the way the seasons are identified.  In the solid blocks I will embroider the Season name and the dates of the season.

 Ohhhh, I am getting so excited about this quilt!!  Don't you want to play too????
 
I researched the Rock Hill temperatures for 2019 up through October as that was all I could find on the net to get an idea of what the spread of our temps would be and how many of each strip I need to prepare.  I came up with the following breakdown:  I will have to make sure that the "temperature fabric" is a good contrast with the seasonal color fabric.  I am going to breakdown the temperature chart by 5 degrees intervals to make sure I have a lot of contrast between temperatures.
 
 
 
 
 


3 comments:

Rebecca said...

I get tickled with every temperature quilt I see. I love your idea of Season to Season and the solid bars of appropriate color for the start of each season. And Solstice to Solstice tickles me also.
Hummm now I need to figure out how to get a chart for the temperature range around here.
Have fun

FlourishingPalms said...

I've been making a temperature quilt in 2019. I learned a couple things in the process. First, because I'm in a warmer climate, I needed to have my fabrics in three-degree increments. I used a total of 23 different colors in mine, and that's because, over the summer, I added two "hot" colors to the top of my temps! Second, I love my Drunkard's Path block, but I should have been more careful about how I cut my blocks. The curves don't meet where where the blocks join. And while that looks nice, I've been wasting a lot of fabric as I'm trimming pieces. Your rails should be good for "frugal" piecing. You might check the Instagram hashtag #temperaturequilt to see the many different designs/patterns people are using. I love what @capitolaquilter is making with prints. I created a Powerpoint presentation from the many ideas I found online, and presented it to members of my traditional guild. Though it was meant for group participation, I think only four or five of us are doing it. I'm only caught up through September! But I work best when I have a month's-worth to make. Have a good time! It really is a fun experience!

Julie Fukuda said...

What an interesting challenge. I wonder if I would be able to stick with that for a whole year. Good luck. It'll be fun to watch.