Saturday, July 27, 2019

Lotus quilt


 
 

I found this patter a few years ago and even bought the ruler to make the quilt.  But, as things go, I never got around to making it. 

My Grandson, Titus, as been out of the crib for some time now and is deserving of a Big Boy quilt.

 He loves the Cars movie, especially Tomater, which is his favorite.   I just could not wrap my mind around making a Cars quilt, as I would rather it be something that he would keep for a long time and I wanted it a little more appropriate for an older boy - in a few years.  I did purchase some cars fabric and started looking for a pattern - just nothing came to mind, until I remembered this LOTUS pattern by Jaybird Quilts.  But sadly, I just could not see this car fabric used in this quilt. 

Then I found a cars panel and have ordered it on line, but it has not arrived yet.  It has a big image of Tomater and Lightening, soooooo, I thought, why not use that for the backing, along with a border using the Cars fabric I already had purchased.  I decided to do just that, and use the primary colors to make the lotus quilt.

I am having fun with this project now.  To make the twin size quilt (69" x 90" per the pattern) I need 1/3 yd cut of 27 different fabrics.  I checked my stash, and I had 18 different ones I could cut a 9 1/2" strip from WOF, so only needed 9 more - off to Hobby Lobby I go (we have no quilt shop in my home town.  The closest is almost a hour drive away.)  I actually bought 1/3 yard cuts of 10 different fabrics, hurried home, washed the fabrics and put my husband to work cutting out the triangles.  Decided to go with solid white triangles, as I had a bolt of that fabric on hand.  I cut out the jewel shapes, and started making blocks.    Here is an arrangement of 6 of the blocks, just so I can see how it will look with all these different prints and patterns.  I think it will make a great Big Boy Quilt :)



 Oh well...one more project to add to the list.

No comments: