Friday, March 8, 2019

Star of Bethlehem - Completed

 Star of Bethlehem Quilt which I began piecing in December 2016.  Completed February, 2019.

All the star blocks are hand pieced using English Paper Piecing. All fabrics are from the Forever Love, Eleanor Burns line by Moda. 

The star blocks are actually only 12" square, but inbetween each block I added an Hour Glass block, which tends to make them much bigger looking.

I completed the hand quilting and binding this year in February.  Its been a rough few months for me.  I fell in mid-November, 2018 down a flight of stairs, ending with a brain concussion and fractured skull.  Very little quilting went on in November and December, but I was able to do some quilting in January.  At the end of January, I had a heart procedure to correct my heart SVT which doctors believed may have caused the fall.  Then this  week, I had a stress test on Monday, which indicated I had a 70% blockage on the front of my heart, which really was a shock for me, as my doctor had just told me I have a very strong heart and that he only wanted the stress test to cover all the bases since my fall.  Heart Cath was yesterday, and Praise the Lord, they found no blockages.  I am not allowed to sew today or tomorrow as they put the tube in my right hand wrist and I can not turn the wrist for 48 hours.  Its nice I can type without turning my wrist.

This is the backing for my quilt.  I love the backing but it does not show up the hand quilting I did.  I debated  on using it, but my love for the fabric won out. 

The quilt is quilted in an ecru YLI hand quilting thread for the most part.  I did quilt the border in a deep rose color, as I did not like how the ecru looked against the rose.

The quilting is very dense.  Each piece of the stars is outline stitched.  In the corners of each of the Hour Glass blocks I used a corner stencil, which then became a pattern where the four blocks come together.  I have a picture of this below, but it is kind of hard to see.   The space between the star and the corner is quilted with straight lines. 

The border is primarily cross hatched, but I did do a pretty flower block in each corner.  Once again hard to see, but there is a picture below.

I so enjoyed making this quilt.  Now on to the next hand quilting project.  Thanks for stopping by,
Teresa



1 comment:

Julie Fukuda said...

You overcame a lot of challenges while working on this project. It turned out beautifully, even with the delays. The detail is just amazing. Congratulations on the finish.