Monday, January 28, 2019

Hexie Topper by Sandy Larsen


 
 
 
 
This month was the retreat month for my club, Stitchin' Friends.  I do a project/demo at each retreat, and for this year, I used Sandy Larsen's pattern Hexie Topper. I had purchased a pattern for each person and included it I their goody bags.  They each brought their own fabrics and we had so much fun seeing how each person's turned out.


This is the first one I made and used as a sample to show the members what we would be making at retreat.  It was a lot of fun to make and I thought the fabrics just looked like Spring to me.










My project for retreat involved apple theme fabrics that I thought would make a good Fall table topper.

For this one I had to piece some of the strips and unfortunately I had not pieced one of the strips long enough and did not have enough to complete the 6th triangle.  So it had to wait to be finished at home.

I have had the salt and pepper shakers for a long time now, and I usually set them on the kitchen table in the Fall.  They look right at home on my apple topper. Hmmmm...a plate of apple dumplins might look good there too.






For my next one, I decided to see if I could make on with 10 different fabrics and chose Fall fabrics.

The trick for this one, is that when I sew the 10 strips together, the width of the 10 strips must be 10 1/2" to get enough triangles out of the strip set. 

So I cut each strip 1 1/2" wide and that worked out just right.  I really like this one, but with an even number of strips you do not get that center ring made of just one of the fabrics.


 My final method was to use 7 strips, each cut 2".

These were all so easy to make and so much fun.  I have one more in mind, one that has 3 strips cut 3" and 2 strips cut 1 3/4".  I even bought some cute teacup fabric for the 3 wide strips. 








1 comment:

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

They all turned out great!! I love the apple one. :) Unfortunately I was one of the designers that got eliminated by Craftsy/Blueprint. So if anyone would like to order the PDF pattern, they will have to contact me directly. Thanks so much for showing your lovely toppers!!