Saturday, October 7, 2017

Galaxy Star

 Last couple of days I have made progress on my Galaxy Star quilt.  I am struggling with these quarter inch seams coming out just right so that the star points line up right with the checkerboard center.  I measure, I check the seam width, I check the finished piece and dang if I am not off!!!  Not off by much - maybe 1/8 inch or a touch more, but it shows up so much against that black. 

The black is actually a batik with black background and deep blue dot swirling around. So progress is slow, but I am determined they will line up correctly.  I have nine of the twelve star blocks completed and all the sections made for the remaining three stars.  Hope to get that done tonight. [ I share a room with my husband, so what you see in the background is his stuff :)]

Pink is the color for Octorber in the RSC.  I could probably have used 100 pinks and still not used all in my stash.  I don't have a lot of yardage in my stash, but I do have a lot of pieces 1/2 yard or less (mostly less) that I can pull from.

I have 15 of the 33 blocks I need to make in October completed.  We will be going to WVa next week, so I will have them done by the time I get home - at least that is the plan. 

This is my work tray that travels with me. It sits in a larger tub where I have all my Jack's Chain blocks in process.





8 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

Pretty PINK 9-Patch blocks. How many of the 33 fabrics do you think I have in my own scraps? Not a one!! It never ceases to amaze me.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your star quilt looks amazing and worth the effort to get all the seams lined up -but I can just imagine how frustrating that is! Good luck with it and have fun with those pretty pink pieces, too!

Julierose said...

That is an amazing star project--looks really difficult to make it come out exactly right. lots of seam crossings...I love your pink squares together...hugs, Julierose

scraphappy said...

The galaxy star is stunning. I'm sure it will be worth all the bother I. The end. Looks like LOTS of pink. Enjoy your trip.

Lin said...

Wow! your Galaxy Star is a stunner! Great collection of pink fabrics. xx

Julie Fukuda said...

The Galaxy Star is coming along nicely. Matching things up by hand is hard enough but by machine, for me, is impossible.
I am not a fan of pink but I'll bet I could come up with a selection much like yours.

PaulaB quilts said...

Great idea to just pick up and go. Have a safe trip and a fun week

Sheila said...

Galaxy Star is awesome. I could never match up all those points. Love your pink collection. My stash variety, some large pieces, but mostly pieces are less than fat quarter size. Meaning my quilts are scrappy.
Love your blog. So many pictures of beautiful blocks and quilts.