Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Sunbonnet Sue - Block 1

I have a new granddaughter due to arrive June 30, and she has been named Lorelai. I am making her a quilt with some Sunbonnet Sue type blocks.  I finished the first block today, there will be a total of 5 of them.  I found the blocks in a Better Homes and Gardens book titled 501 Quilt Blocks.  All the blocks are patterned at 4" finished.  That was too small, so I scanned the block into my computer, put the image into a WORD document and then enlarged the image to 9" .  The block will be a 12" block.

Block 1 - Sunbonnet with Flower
 
 
Well what do you know - it loaded right. 
 
The quilt will be made like a large nine patch with 5 SBS blocks and the four plain blocks. 
 
 I have some blocks that my mother quilted on various solid pastel fabrics.  She did several quilts where she quilted the blocks before she sewed them together and did a beautiful job of that.  I think it would be so neat if I could used four of her blocks in this quilt, then Lorelai would have a quilt that both her grandmother and greatgrandmother made.  Just not so sure I can do as good a job on the quilt-as-you-go method my momma used, and I would just hate to mess up her beautifully quilted blocks. 
 
I have a few weeks to decide, guess if it looked too bad, I could take them apart.  But then my blocks would be quilted and I would have to put them together some way.
 
 
Teresa

3 comments:

Frog Quilter said...

Your new grand daughter is not going to notice any irregularities or imperfections. She will only see the love that was put into the quilt. I'm sure it will be beautiful and GD will love it.

Julie Fukuda said...

I think that is a great idea and your first block is so lovely. Quilt-as-you-go is not so difficult and fabric is more forgiving than one would think.

Ruth said...

How cute! It would be wonderful if you could combine your mother's blocks into it as well. That would truly be a treasure.