Monday, February 25, 2013

Do-si-Do and Twill Around

Yeehaw - I finshed the snail trail borders and corners and sewed them on to my Do-si-Do quilt tonight.    This has been a long time coming.  I pinned it to my design wall to get a picture but it's a little too long. 

The snail trail borders have 3,520 pieces in them, the corners have 108 pieces and the quilt center has 672 pieces, for a total of 4,300 pieces in this quilt - now that is a lot of cutting, pressing and seaming. 

And now to get it quillted!  The quilt finished at 84 x 96 and that is a lot of handquilting!  This will definitely be "big stitch" quilting.   I want to get my good friend Donna to baste it for me on her long arm - pretty please with chocolate pound cake on top?


I ran out of my brown for the background and decided to just use the 2" squares of the various fabrics in each corner.  Going with the Fall theme, I like to think this looks a little like maize corn.  I literally had maybe 5 strips of the brown left over - about 1 1/2" wide by 8" long.

I also completed my small twilling project. This is the first project that I quilting on my Jasmine frame and was so much fun to do.  I added a few more beads just cause I thought it needed it.  Maybe if you enlarge it you can see the beading and quilting.

Not sure what to do with it now that it is done.  I did put a sleeve on it so that I could easily hang it up, but it is not very big at 10" square. 

Even so...it is a finish and one more item I can check off on my UFO list.

Happy stitching to you all and thanks for stopping by,
Teresa

9 comments:

FlourishingPalms said...

Great. Big. Project done! Well, almost. Quilting will take a bit, even with big stitch. What color pearl cotton will you quilt with? I've always loved that design which in the early days of quilting was called Square Dance. Do-si-doe works too.

Julie Fukuda said...

I have only made small things with that pattern and can't believe a whole quilt ... plus that fancy border. I love the warm cheerful color. Great job!

Thimbleanna said...

Your quilt is beautiful Teresa! Congratulations on a great finish!

Susan said...

Simply Stunning.........

Lots of hours spent on that quilt...
And many more to come.....

You are going to enjoy every moment you spend with that quilt and will smile every time you look at it later.

Congratulations.

em's scrapbag said...

Beautiful quilt. Love the snails trail boarder. I would never have thought of that.

Floss said...

I think the square in the corner look great. I wouldn't guess that is was due to a shortage of fabric if you hadn't told us.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Holy Cow, your Do-si-do is AMAZING!! Wowza. I'm speechless... you're quite the piecer, I applaud your determination. It is simply stunning!!

Purple Pam said...

Your quilt is stunning. Congratulations on your first finish (the top).

Love Of Quilts said...

Congratulations on your finish! Wow what a under taking. I can only guess how long it took you. Its Beautiful. My eyes just aren't good enought anymore to read the numbers in the word verification...I had to enlarge my page. You may not be aware that you have it.