Monday, August 30, 2021

August blocks

 I did get my August blocks of the month blocks completed.  Cutting it close on the Gentle Gems by Val Laird but was determined to have them done before the end of the month.  


Gail Pan - Bring Me Flowers:  One of her August blocks had a very cute Bumble Bee, but I am just not a big fan of any kind of bee - so I did a hummingbird instead.  Its fun when you can take a block of the month and choose your own fabrics and in cases designs to use.  



Val Laird's Gentle Gems: Ok so one of the blocks is sideways.  But I had already put them away before I saw this oooops - so just have to tilt your head a little to see the bike :)   This pattern used bullion stitch which I love to do, but do find it awkward.  I am considering getting a hoop on a stand to do some of these stitches that are challenging. I did message Val Laird (and she replied promptly) asking if she used a hand held hoop, hoop on a stand or no hoop when she embroiders.  I was surprised she said she does not use a hoop.  Hmmmmm...maybe I need to try this again.  I find it hard to get my stitches the right tension and consistent this way, but then practice would probably help.





1 comment:

FlourishingPalms said...

Your pieces are so pretty, And isn't Val a sweetie? Her handwork is spectacular, and she's always quick to respond to comments, and questions too. It's really nice that you've found a connection with her, as you're both peas-in-a-pod when it comes to embroidery. Keep enjoying it!