Sunday, July 11, 2021

Coronaville Finished!

 Yes, I finished my Coronaville quilt, just wish the pandemic was also finished.  At least I do feel more protected now, but the Delta variant is bad news.  

This is the front of the quilt.  I call it a topsy-turvy layout and that is the way 2020 felt.  So much stress and turmoil is lots of areas of our lives.  I centered the block with an embroidered cross representing my faith that I relied on to get through the year and continue with all that continues even today.

 Here is one of the blocks just to show a close up of the quilting.  The little house in the right corner always gives me a smile, I call it the Nut House - Mr. Peanut lives there.



Here is the back of the quilt.  My first layout had all the house kind of going in a circle around the center block.  But that turned into a tragic mistake when I tried to get it to laydown flat for pin basting.  Intially I went ahead and pinned it, thinking I would just quilt the pleats flat.....but then after 3 hours of pinning and going to bed  exhausted at 11:00 I could not sleep just thinking about how awful it looked.  So I get up, unpin the quilt  and start ripping out the stitches...until 2:00am, and then I went to bed.

Got up at 5:30am and finished ripping the back apart, coming up with a new layout and three days later, I had the back completed.  Big sigh of relief, it laid perfectly flat and I liked how it looked. !

Excitedly I re-pinned the quilt and started machine quilting it along the sashing and wondered why in the world my pins were in upside down????  I machine two sides of two of the sashing strips that ran length wise before I realized my problem.  I was quilting on the back!!!!! Well that would be why the pin were upside down.   Sigh, had to rip all the quilting back out.  You see the blocks on the front are
 11 1/2" square and on the back the blocks are 9" square - thus the sashing on the back and front do not line up and I wanted the front sashing to be quilted.   Big laugh here - after all it is topsy-turvey. 
This is the label on the back of the quilt.  I completed making the backing on July 2, and the Covid statistics at that time were 183,526,684 cases worldwide with 3,913,586 deaths. In the United States it was 34,561,404 cases and 620,645 deaths.   Today as I write this post I checked the stats again (one week later).  Cases are now 187,501,030 cases and 4,046,629 deaths worldwide; that is an increase in 7 days of 3,974,346 cases and 73,043 deaths.   In the United States  the increase over the 7 day period was 164,855 new cases and 2,180 new deaths.  The numbers are just overwhelming, so hard to comprehend.

Here is the quilting as it shows up on one of the back blocks with no houses.  My original plan was to do this free motion quilting.  After three attempts I gave up on that method and went with my jumbo stitch handquilting using #5perle cotton and a size 20 chenille needle.  Hard on the fingers, but I please with how it turned out.  
I started this quilt on March 13, 2020; the day SC declared a stay-at-home lockdown and planned to make 1 house for each day of the lockdown.   I cutout pieces for 64 houses thinking that would be plenty, haha.  By the time I reached 120 houses, I decided to keep going and reduced the size of the house and kept on sewing.  I made the front of the house with the first 120 blocks and decided I would continue making until I received my second Pfizer shot - which turned out to be 218 days later on February 14, 2021.  And the pandemic continues, with rates starting to go up again as the Delta variant spreads around the world and people still refuse to be vaccinated.  God help us.


 




4 comments:

O'Quilts said...

Good one! I have plans for that too....plans that got swept away in floods of many kinds...Oh, well...I do like yours.xo

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

Your quilt is beautiful and will certainly be a family heirloom

Julie Fukuda said...

Thanks to your inspiration, I now have one large quilt and a big table runner. My houses are only 3x4", topsy turvy in the center with sashing,and in rows around the borders. I really couldn't go on for another year. A few of those houses are dedicated to friends I have lost ... some using fabric they had given me.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

This is a quilt of beauty and will also serve as a great historical marker for generations to come in the future; well done!