Sunday, April 26, 2020

HQ45 - Pemberley quilting

Today is the 45th day in Home Quarantine.  I spent my morning quilting on Pemberley - finished one of the corner blocks and have three more of these big blocks along the border to do.  There are 16 of the big blocks and I was hoping to complete the hand quilting before my guild's quilt show in September.  These stay at home days have given me the time to almost all of the blocks completed, but now the guild has cancelled the quilt show.

While I quilted, I listed to My Dear Hamilton on audible.  Its the story of his Alexander Hamilton's wife, Eliza (Betsy)Schulyer Hamilton.  I do enjoy listening to books while I quilt, much more than music or watching tv.  I just finished listening to America's First Daughter, (about the daughter (Martha, Patsy, Jefferson Randolph) of Thomas Jefferson. Odd that Eliza was called Betsy and Martha was called Patsy.  I guess Betsy could come from Elizabeth, but her name was Eliza.  Not sure how they got Patsy out of the name Martha.

 I find that historical novels make learning history much more interesting.  Just have to take into consideration that many times the stories have been embellished. Both of these books were written by Stephanie Dray and Laura Kamoie.  The authors provide clarification in the end of the embellishments they made and why.

3 comments:

Julie Fukuda said...

I have always enjoyed historical fiction. Back in the days when books were on tapes, I enjoyed them ... especially on long car drives.
I have yet to get an audio book ... or even one on a tablet. As a school librarian, I still like the feel of paper and turning the page. I also go back and read parts again before moving on. Too bad the show got cancelled. Seeing everyone making such progress, I think once shows start up again, they will be whoppers.

Rebecca said...

Love audio books and love paper books..Cannot abide electronic books on a device.
I get a lot of piecing, quilting, gardening, driving done to the company of audio books. (not so much with paper books go figure)

اوائل الرياض said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.