Saturday, January 14, 2023

Goodness - Where as my time gone?

 I can't believe I have not posted since October - it cannot have been that long!

Since then, I have started hand quilting my GFG quilt - but I notice two of my fingers had gone numb on my left hand.  Mentioned this to may doctor who sent me to a neurologist, who diagnosed nerve damage in my hand originating from a pinched nerve in my left elbow.  This will require surgery to fix, but really????  I have no pain, just two numb fingers. The neurologist and my doctor have both told me to either have surgery, or risk losing the use of my left hand as it will have permanent nerve damage that will continue to get worse.  The neurologist also told me to stop doing any handwork - which is like telling me to stop breathing.  My new year's resolution is to take care of this problem.

Needless to say, I continue to hand quilt, embroider and work on other projects.  There is just so much time I can spend reading and I am still concerned about going out among crowds because of the Covid, and now flu.  Most of shopping is on-line, except visits to the grocery store and quilt shop to get essentials.  I do my grocery shopping early in the morning (like 7:00 when Food Lion opens) to avoid crowds and sanitize that cart handle when I go in. Sigh.....I am probably over-doing it, but I do what I feel is the least I can do.

I am enjoying quilting on my GFG.  This is the first time I designed my own appliqued border.  I am using different colors of thread for the quilting.  To get the colors I needed I ordered some 40wt aurifil fabric and am not happy with it as it breaks too easily.  I use Coats & Clark hand quilting thread when I could find the right color and am trying some Gutermann hand quilting thread that I am very satisfied with.  Below are some pictures of my quilting and borders.





I also started another Dear Jane quilt in October and have completed  over 130 of the 169 quilt center blocks.  I agreed to start a Dear Jane club in October which will begin in February and felt the need to make blocks again if I plan to teach them.  I finished my first quilt in 2019 - so I definitely needed a refresher.  Looking forward to sharing this project with others, but it sure is a lot of work to prepare for teaching.

I have also purchased the Delaford quilt pattern from Katrina Hadjimichael.  I knew I had to make this quilt when she first posted it  on-line, but had to wait a year or so until she made the pattern available to the public.  Have started collecting my fabrics and hopefully can start working on it soon.  Lots of English Paper Piecing and applique.
Back to my DJ Blocks.  I will post some pictures of them soon - but here is one of my favorites:







2 comments:

Frog Quilter said...

Beautiful hand quilting! I need to find my Dear Jane blocks.

FlourishingPalms said...

Time can sure get away from us! Though I'm still regularly blogging, I am in disbelief every time another five or six days passes and it's time to post again. I'm very sorry to know about the nerve damage in your fingers. I sure didn't know about such a thing, and can completely sympathize with your inability to quit handwork. What a dreadful situation to be in! I hope you have the surgery done sooner rather than later, so you can be assured of many more years of hand quilting. You've taken on some daunting (to me!) projects, and I admire your desire and determination to make them. Well, we do what we must do to satisfy the urges within us. Glad you are taking care of yourself. It's okay to be overly cautious. I don't think anyone can fault anyone else for knowing what's best for themselves. Wishing you a good start to 2023, and quick healing post surgery!