Tuesday, April 12, 2022

Bloom and Grow (BAG quilt)

 Wow, it has been quite awhile since I last posted.  My life over the last 8 weeks has been nuts.  My husband (who has had 7 back surgeries in the last 6 years) fell in a parking lot and laid there for 20 minutes in the cold and rain before an ambulance got there.  The hospital was less than a mile away!  When we got there, they could not even put him in a room in the ER as they are experiencing nursing shortages, and therefore, even if they put in a hospital bed, there was insufficient nursing staff to take care of him.  So they had empty beds, the ER was full with patients that needed to be admitted - it was a nightmare.  He ended up being treated in the ER waiting area and sent home with a neck brace and a doctor's appt the next day, and some strong pain meds.  So six weeks later, he had another back surgery and is currently in a Rehabilitation Hospital.  I spent every day & night in the hospital with him (5 days) and spend my days at the Rehab.  He is making progress and hopefully will be home Friday.

Since I last posted,  I have started a project called Blume and Grow, by Birdhouse Patchwork Designs.  I call it my BAG quilt.  I saw this quilt on-line and had to have it as it has Embroidery, EPP and Applique.  All my favorite techniques.


While in the Rehab Center with hubs, I have completed 6 of the small embroidery blocks.  I still have to square up 5 of them and add the borders - but these little blocks are so good for my mental health.

I have also started a baby quilt in the evenings for a lady in our church.  Saw a completed quilt on facebook, and drew out the pattern in EQ so I could use the sizes I want.  It is called Scrap Happy Ribbons.
EQ Drawing

Row completed so far ( Rows not sewn to each other yet)

You get a  peak at my Grandmother's Flower quilt.  I have all the GFG blocks competed and am working on a border made entirely of Hexies.  That is what kept me busy in the hospital.  I need around 700 hexagons, so while in the hospital, I covered paper pieces - maybe 250 or so.

I do have a couple of other things to show, but now I must get to the rehab center and visit with hubs for the day.  They are actually transporting him to a doctor's appt, and I have to drive myself there.  










1 comment:

loulee said...

Healing thoughts for your hubby, I hope his recovery is smooth.
You're making great progress while you support him.