Sunday, August 22, 2021

Spikes and Specks quilt - Katrina Hadjimichael designer

 I showed a picture of one block I had completed on the Spikes and Specks quilt, designed by Katrina Hadjimichael.  I continue making progress and thought I would document how the  quilt is coming along.  I am doing mine in batiks using a color pallet requested by my niece.  This is quite different from the palette used by Katrina.


The next step is to make the sashings.  There are 36 sashing strips to make, and each requires an 18" bias strip for the vine and 4 leaves.

My bias strips for the vines are made from the same fabric I will use for corner stones and for the setting triangles as the blocks above are to be set on point.  I used the technique of cutting an 18" strip, 1 1/4", folding the strip in half with right side out (not that it matters with batiks) and then sewing a seam along the long side 1 /4" from raw edge.  Once sewn, I trim the seam to within 1/8" for stitched seam, and using a 3/8" bias bar, I pressed the strip flat with the seam down the middle.  This makes a 3/8" bias strip called for in the pattern.  I made all 36 "vines"


Next up are the leaves.  I am using Katrina's technique of English Paper Piecing applique.  I cut out the patterns for the leaves, then cover with fabric just like I do in EPP.
After that I press it for a tight crease, then remove the paper and applique it to the sashing strip.
  I do not like raw edge applique and this way my seams are nicely folded under.  I also usually do my applique by hand, but since I have 36 of these strips to do, and I want the quilt to be as sturdy as possible, I elected to sew the applique down by machine, just using a straight stitch right along the edge.  I also did this for the vines.    I have completed 12 of the 36 sashing strips.

So here is a taste of what it will look like, with the blocks on point and the sashing:

I got so excited at this point as I am pleased with how it looks and anxious to get it done.  I still have 24 more sashing strips to make !!!  The leaves look like Christmas lights and I am thinking how pretty this would be done in Christmas fabrics!

 




5 comments:

O'Quilts said...

Wow and more Wow....Great job!! xo

Sherrill said...

Oooo, you have a very lucky niece and she has an extra special aunt!!! That's going to be so beautiful!!

Rebecca said...

Love your colors for this.
The pattern never caught my eye or interest until I saw your colors.
Its funny how we react or are drawn in by different elements.
Having said that I do not see myself doing this quilt in any colorway! lol

Frog Quilter said...

Oh what a beautiful quilt. It sings pretty!!!

Julie Fukuda said...

Oh my! What a great quilt that has become! And such cheerful colors too.