Sunday, March 14, 2021

Bobbin Lace

 I asked and received a beginner's bobbin lace kit for Christmas.  I have been interested in this craft for quite a few years and was excited to learn.  I know no one that makes bobbin lace, but I have been watching YouTubes and also purchased a Beginner's Guide to Bobbin Lace by Gilian Dye and Adrienne Thunder.   I have not gotten very far in the book, but have learned some basics.

My work so far is very much the work of a beginner, but someday I hope to have become more proficient in making this lace which I have always considered works of art.

So, I am going to show some of my beginner works just so hopefully I can look back someday and see improvement.  

These are the bobbins that were in my kit.  They were not marked in anyway, so I purchased some 1/8" color tape to mark pairs.  The patterns I have been starting with have you work with pairs of bobbins that stay together throughout the project and I was getting them so confused....so I marked them and now I can keep it straight much easier..








One of the first projects in the book was this little bookworm book mark. this was my third attempt.  Still far from neat or even close to perfect - but I learned a lot in making it.  I need to go back and try again just to see if I have improved any.



This morning I started another bookmark (actually my second attempt of this pattern,)  









I found the progress going so much better than the first one I tried (I will spare you how that one looked)









Here is is finished.  I actually did pretty good although I seem to have dropped a stitch somehow on the left side.  I did not master how to finish it off.  

One more try and maybe I will get it right.



2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Oh you Brave Brave Lady!!!!

I picked up needle tatting a couple of years ago and that is as close as I will ever get to lace making.

Have fun and enjoy the journey

FlourishingPalms said...

How wonderful for you, Teresa! I did bobbin lace for a while in my life... though it was back in the early 1990s. I attended workshops, and made several pieces. I remember sewing them into clothing, like the edge of a blouse collar. When we had to downsize in 2012, in preparation for moving, I donated my bobbins to Goodwill. I'm smiling to think of it because I'm guessing no one knew what they were! Nonetheless, my curiosity about bobbin lace was satisfied. I'm glad you're giving it a go, and I look forward to seeing what pieces you make. Have fun!